The Vice President of Business Operations (the “VP”) will lead day-to-day integrated marketing operations and business strategy and operations for Atlanta United FC. This person will lead a cross-functional team in creating and executing integrated marketing plans to support the club’s business objectives. Working across marketing, events, communications, digital, social, and sales, the VP will be charged with leading a unified marketing and communications effort around ticket sales, suite sales, sponsorships and merchandise. Additionally, the VP will lead the creation of an annual business plan and the development and tracking of key performance indicators, working in conjunction with key stakeholders across the organization (Finance, Sales, etc).
Perhaps best known as co-founder of The Home Depot, Arthur Blank’s Family of Businesses portfolio currently includes the Atlanta Falcons; PGA TOUR Superstore; The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation; Mountain Sky Guest Ranch; Atlanta United; and AMB Group, the parent company of his for-profit businesses. AMB Sports & Entertainment Group is a subsidiary of AMB Group, LLC, and is comprised of the Atlanta Falcons Football Club, LLC, The Mercedes-Benz Stadium Project, and Atlanta’s new Major League Soccer team, Atlanta United FC. As the largest metropolitan area without an MLS franchise, AMB Group was awarded the MLS expansion team in April 2014 and currently play in Georgia Tech’s Bobby Dodd Stadium while final construction is completed at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Blank believes in the importance of making a difference – professionally and personally. In addition to his companies’ financial success, during his 23 years with The Home Depot the company donated more than $113 million to communities, and Home Depot associates provided hundreds of thousands of hours of personal volunteer time. Blank is applying the same business acumen and values in building his competitive, successful and community-oriented businesses today. While diverse in nature, all of Blank’s businesses are run based on a common set of core values, which focus on developing customer relationships, treating associates with respect, and supporting communities.
Atlanta United FC expands Major League Soccer’s footprint in the Southeast as the League’s 22nd franchise. The club has begun its inaugural season and will play in the state-of-the-art Mercedes-Benz Stadium currently under construction downtown. Atlanta United is led by club President Darren Eales and are currently just two points out of a playoff spot in their inaugural season. Continuing Blank’s continuous involvement in the community, the fan base was involved in the selection of the name Atlanta United, and the team’s logo features elements of the city’s seal, Olympic heritage and the five pillars of the club: unity, determination, community, excellence and innovation. On the field, the team is led by Yamil Asad, who is tied for the second most assists in MLS, and Alec Kann, who has the fifth most saves, and recently signed USMNT mainstay Brad Guzan. Mirroring the success on the field, the city of Atlanta has fully embraced the team, boasting the highest average attendance in MLS with five of the top seven most highly attended games this season.
Any interested candidates should contact Turnkey Search directly. Contacting AMB or Atlanta United FC will only delay consideration of your qualifications.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Direct oversight of the following departments: Marketing & Fan Engagement, Digital & Social, Communications, and Community Relations
- Lead the development of integrated, fan-centric, multi-channel strategic marketing plans to achieve business and fan engagement goals across Atlanta United season ticket, single game ticket and group sales, premium seating, merchandise sales, etc. Includes developing strategies to maintain relevancy 365 days a year
- Drive the development comprehensive digital and social media marketing plans that leverage the capabilities of various platforms and channels to target the right fans with the right communication at the right time to drive desired behaviors
- Collaborate with marketing, sales, service and analytics teams to develop a customer loyalty and rewards program for the club’s Founding Members.
- Oversee Atlanta United’s engagement with key community partners and coordinate with the AMB Family Foundation leadership on grant-making and execution, consistent with Atlanta United’s community objectives
- Work with MLS’s apparel supplier on seasonal design and development of team uniforms and training wear, and collaborate with MLS, suppliers and key points of distribution (Fanatics, team store, etc.) on go-to-market strategies
- Partner with the Mercedes-Benz Stadium team to deliver a superior game day experience authentic to the sport of soccer
- Lead the development, production, and execution of fan and sponsorship events that deliver upon identified objectives. Work with the sponsorship team to develop appropriate co-branded marketing and promotional efforts with corporate partners of Atlanta United.
- Partner with the sponsorship team to drive and deliver incremental revenue from Atlanta United team deals
- Oversee the production of Atlanta United local TV and radio broadcasts, including story development, talent management, broadcast quality, etc.
- Serve as key point of contact for MLS league office on business matters, participate in league calls and meetings as appropriate, and lead responses to league requests as needed.
- Minimum 5 years of integrated marketing and strategic planning experience in a global, consumer-facing business
- Experience across various business and marketing disciplines including strategy, brand leadership, digital and social media, CRM, sales and operations.
- Experience in developing and executing business plans and delivering results in a high-growth, start-up environment
- Possess knowledge of and passion for the sport of soccer and a deep understanding of the various segments of soccer fans
- Experience in leading creative development and in driving consistent execution across various consumer touchpoints
- Experience using data and analytics to gain deep understanding of customers and their behaviors across various touch points
- Experience with membership-related activities including loyalty programs, reducing customer churn, nurturing current members, and recruiting new members
- Experience working with professional sports teams or leagues is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or equivalent. MBA preferred
- Ability to develop effective marketing strategies and integrated business plans and to drive successful execution to deliver business results
- Commitment to excellence and possess an understanding of the best-in-class mindset
- Understanding of commercial aspects of the club business, as well as an understanding of retail development and execution.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, matrix environment.
- Ability to lead diverse teams, contractors, and agencies in strategy development, production, and creative development to achieve outstanding results
- Ability to manage multiple work streams simultaneously and to prioritize among competing initiatives
- Resourcefulness in the ability to achieve results in the most effective manner
- Ability to articulate a point of view and to influence across the organization
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving start-up environment and the ability to wear multiple hats when necessary to get the job done